Saturday, September 13, 2008

So very sad

My parents (dad and stepmom) live in Crosby, Texas. They were not in an area that was evacuated. We begged my dad not to stay, but my stepmom is a nurse for the county and they made the nurses work at the shelters that were set up around the city and my dad was not leaving without her. So, my dad was at home alone when the storm hit. They live in a very wooded neighborhood. The neighbors next door have two huge oak trees in their front yard. I should say...HAD. Both of those trees are now laying down the middle of my parent's house. Totally destroyed. Thank GOD my dad decided to go into the den where there are no windows. The tree took out the bed he had been lying in right before the trees fell. Best they can tell....the smaller tree fell into the larger tree pushing it over and they both landed on the house. I think my dad was in shock when I spoke to him this morning because he kept going on and on about all the money they had just put into the house redoing the kitchen, den, living room and utility room and a ton of new furniture. Yes, I am very sad that the home that he and my stepmom have made together for the past 12 years is destroyed, but I am so very thankful that my dad is still alive to complain about it!

If any of you who read my blog have families that live in the path that Ike to, I pray that they are all safe. I promised myself that I was not going to watch the news, but I was glued to it pretty much all night last night and all this morning. I've not turned the TV on since about 2 to see what else is on the news and I think I am just going to read a book and not bother with the TV tonight. I don't think I can handle seeing the devastation anymore.

Oh...I never got a chance to announce that I am an aunt again...for the 5th time. My sister-in-law, Jennifer (my brother's wife and my favorite sister-in-law) gave birth to their 4th child, Tanner Jase. He's their 3rd son. And I can promise that they will never forget his birth or the first week of his life. He was born on Tuesday, released from the hospital on Thursday and immediately evacuated. I don't know if they even took him to the house before they left town or not. I hope I get to see him soon.

Okay...I've got some Christmas shopping to do on line. Gymboree is having their baby sale, so I want to get some gifts bought now. My goal this year is to have ALL my shopping done BEFORE Thanksgiving.

Blog ya later!


Margie said...

Hey Hollye! Glad to hear your Dad was okay. I am glad you could talk to him on the phone. I still haven't been able to get through to my sister or parents except by text. No major damage to either one of their homes. The only one I don't know about is my good friend Mary. They are in Seabrook and am not sure if they evacuated or not since they are volunteer fire dept. Prayers for them and your family!

Just Jane's Journal said...

Hollye, glad your parents are ok.
I've been praying for all of Texas and the country as it sweeps its path.

*Jilly* said...

Oh Hollye..I am so glad your dad is alright..God was watching over him..I am sure of it.

I have a friend that lives in Nederland..they had to evacuate..they are staying in a hotel in Louisiana..she was scared to death..because her dad refused to leave..but he is fine..he made it through.