Monday, August 14, 2006

Chicken Pot Pie, Banana Pudding and my list

Well, I've been saying for months now that I was going to really get some DEEP cleaning done on the house. I made this 'to do' list and it got WAY out of control. So, last night (or this morning since it was 2am when I decided this) I decided to toss out my current to do list and start over. I limit myself to FIVE things that must be done today. Here is my list...

1. Get the floor picked up in Miss K's room. (If you read yesterday, I have been working on getting her ready for the fall and that involves cleaning out her chest and her closet. That left a HUGE mess on the floor. I am not an organizer by ANY means!)

2. Change and wash linens on all beds.

3. A clean kitchen.

4. Re-pott front porch ferns.

5. Make a homecooked meal. (chicken pot pie!)

I know those sound easy, but if I put 20 items on my list...nothing gets done. I'll start one project and then get sidetracked and start on another. Before you know it, it is 6 pm and I am trying to decide what to make for dinner! Tomorrow's list will consist of errands since Miss K has a playdate at the mall. We might even end up with a Halloween costume while we are out tomorrow. I will post tomorrow and let you know if I got my 5 items on my list completed!

Here are the recipes for the stuff I made last night. We are actually having our pot pie tonight. My friend Stacy said that pot pie was great, so I am hoping that Miss K will eat this!

CHICKEN (or TURKEY) POT PIE
Filling: 1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 ½ - 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 package Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts (If you are going to make this for someone and take it to them, I suggest that you get the crusts that are in the pans already. You can invert one of them onto a cookie sheet and then use it to cover the pie. That way you don't have to worry about getting your pie pan back.)

1. Heat oven to 425F. Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for two-crust pie using 9” pie pan.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk; cook, stirring constantly until bubbly and thickened.
3. Add chicken and mixed vegetables; remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust and flute; cut slits in several places.
4. Bake at 425F for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Serves 6
(I cook a couple of whole chickens every couple of weeks. Then I debone and freeze the cooked chicken. That way I always have cooked chicken on hand. Sometimes I will freeze the broth, but I have limited freezer space, so I haven't lately.)


Hollye's Aunt Nancy's Banana Pudding

Ingreidents:
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tub of extra cream cool whip topping
4 bananas - sliced
vanilla wafers

Combine pudding mix, milk and condensed milk. Mix with hand mixer. Slowly fold in cool whip.

In large bowl, layer the bottom with the wafers, then banana slices, then pour pudding in. Keep layering until you are done. Top the pudding mixture with crushed wafers. Chill for at least 1 hour before chilling. **This is the best banana pudding recipe I have ever tasted. It is easy to make and it turns out great. I've been asked the the recipe everytime I take this dish to a function.

Okay...I must go feed my child and work on the kitchen while we are hanging out downstairs.

2 comments:

Jill LaFaye said...

Thank you..thank you..thank you! That was fast.. I will be keeping these babies out where I can use them real soon!

Unknown said...

thanks for the recipes! I can't wait to try them.

Have you ever tried Flylady? I doubt I could do the entire plan, but bits and pieces of her concepts work great. Good luck with your to-do list!

Jennie