Friday, February 16, 2007

Still cold...

For some reason, it is wicked cold outside right now. Brian came in from walking the dogs and I thought he had frostbite on his ears. Crazy!!!

Today was another PJ day. Both mommy and baby were sick. We both took a nice long nap.

So, yesterday we headed to Panera for lunch. Now, while I am not as obsessed with Panera as Sherri is, I do love their creamy chicken and wild rice soup. I love it even move in a bread bowl. So, came home and hunted for the recipe on line. I found something similar to it.

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice
(like Panera)

INGREDIENTS
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
2 cups heavy cream

DIRECTIONS
In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.
In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.

Guess what I will be making this weekend? :) I am going to run by Panera and pick up some bread bowls. I need to grocery shop this weekend. I need to find Wal-Mart around here. Groceries here are more expensive than what I am use to. I thought I was crazy at first, but I found a receipt in my purse from before we moved and I bought some of the same things and they were more expensive.

Saturday my husband is taking me to Hobby Lobby. Yep..you read that right. The nearest HL is an hour away. I don't even know if this store is even worth is, but we are going to try it out anyway. We've got a ton of errands to run, so we will just make a day of it. I've already told Miss K if she is good, we will go and get Beary Bear a new outfit at Build-A-Bear. He is still wearing his V-day pj's. He needs some new clothes.

Okay...off to bed. Blog ya later!

1 comment:

Chelle said...

So how did the soup turn out? I might try to make it, it sounds good.