Sunday, June 05, 2005

You want a $1 for that? I wouldn't pay a $1 for it!

Okay...we had a community yard sale yesterday. Brian and I set a goal of making enough money at our yard sale to buy Kenney's pack 'n play and the mattress for her crib. The goal I set for myself was...get rid of all the clothes that I haven't been able to wear in years! That was hard for me to do, but I have no idea why! So, I spent last week going through the house pulling out clothes, shoes, household items, and anything else I knew that we really don't need. Friday night I started going through my scrapbook room and pulling stuff out of there to get rid of.

So, Saturday morning gets here and I wake up at 5am to start pulling tables out and to finish pricing the rest of the stuff that I had. The yard sale was set to start at 7. I had my first customer at 6:15. He wanted to buy our old Playstation. We finally agreed on a price and then he whips out a $100 bill! I just started laughing. I told him if he planned on shopping garage sales today, he better go somewhere and change that $100 bill in! I told him next time he shopped garage sales, he'd be better of with $1's! He had to beg his friend to pay for it for him.

So, the day is going good and then the "lady" shows up. She keeps asking me how much everything is....even if it is marked. She comes to the clothes, which there are a TON of. She asks me how much a dress is. I tell her it's a $1. She says, "you want a $1 for that? I wouldn't pay a $1 for it!" I told her to put it back on the hanger and hang it back up then. The dress still had the original tags on it. What did she want me to do, give it to her for free? Later Brian asked me why I didn't give it to her for 50 cents. I told him I would rather donate it to Goodwill then to give it to someone so rude!

I understand that yard sales are where people expect to find bargains, but give me a break. It seems that no matter what I marked on my stuff, people thought it was too high. I almost think if I had a box that was marked "FREE", they would have asked me to PAY them to take it!

Well, at the end of the day Brian and I had reached the goal that we had set together and I had reached the goal I set for myself. We made enough money to buy the pack 'n play and mattress for Kennedy and I got rid of a bunch of clothes that I can't wear anymore! There is already talk of another yard sale in September, but I don't know if I am going to be up for it considering Kennedy won't quite be 2 months old. But we shall see. I know that there is a ton of stuff in this house that we don't need anymore!

No comments: